Pages

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Pinspiration: Blinged-Out Cons

I think it's safe to say that everyone in the free world has discovered Pinterest by now.  I have managed to get sucked in far enough that I actually feel my blood pressure rise when the app won't cooperate.  (How will I repin all those workout tips that I'll never find time to do because I spend my free time on Pinterest?!  Argh!)


BUT! it has not been a complete waste of my time.  While I'm not so creative, I am a WHIZ at copying other people!  So I have mangled a couple of craft ideas and ruined a couple of recipes.  In the process, I have learned that while some of the ideas really work, some of the pins must surely be the product of an evil elementary-school principal huddled in a basement in Topeka hoping to bring down the entire Pinterest universe!

So instead of letting us all make the same mistakes and waste time and money on imitating disastrous pins, I thought I would try a new segment to feature the results of Pinterest-inspired ideas, both the amazing successes and the epic failures.

The first test item was one I tried several months ago for blinged-out Converse sneakers.  I had actually ran across a few pair of these for sale on etsy.com and every pair was outrageously priced.  When I ran across a site with the DIY instructions, I thought it was worth a shot.

Here is the pinspiration:


And my interpretation:


The verdict:  Totally pin worthy!  For the cost of a couple of pair of plain black Cons (buy one, get one half at Shoe Carnival), colorful shoelaces and ribbon, a package of acrylic jewels and some E6000 adhesive, we have one-of-a-kind sneakers for about a third of the price I have seen them online.

Best of all, it was really easy.  I made both pair in a couple of hours, and I tend to be incredibly slow with this kind of thing.

A word of caution, though -- certain young girls may not be able to resist picking the jewels off and trying to blame their classmates.  On three separate occasions.  Requiring three separate repairs.  (Really, Mom!  It was during circle time!)  Keep the adhesive on hand and you should be fine.

Stacy

P.S.  If you have your own successes and failures with pins, message me and share!

No comments:

Post a Comment